Africa

DRC army says rebels massacred 50 civilians in Kishishe

Democratic Republic of Congo’s armed forces on Thursday said M23 rebels and their allies killed 50 civilians in a massacre in the eastern town of Kishishe this week, which the M23 denied. #DRC #WhisperEyeNews

Congo’s army and the M23, a Tutsi-led militia, have been locked in fighting for months in the country’s restive east, with each accusing the other of initiating attacks.

“The M23 Movement rejects the baseless allegations made against it in Kishishe,” said the group’s political spokesperson, Lawrence Kanyuka, in a statement.

“The M23 reminds the international and national community that it has never targeted civilian populations,” he said.

The United Nations and a U.S. diplomat also said they had information about civilian killings on Tuesday in Kishishe, North Kivu province, but did not give details. Both called for an investigation.

“We are deeply saddened by the massacre of civilians in Kishishe, which could constitute a war crime,” Stephanie Miley, charge d’affaires for the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, said on Twitter.

A spokesperson for the U.N. Secretary-General said the United Nations had received reports of human rights abuses committed during clashes between the M23 and local militias in Kishishe, which included a high number of civilian casualties.

Congo and U.N. experts say neighbouring Rwanda supports the M23, which Rwanda has consistently denied. The two countries took part in talks last week in Angola aimed at finding solutions to the conflict.

One of their agreements was that an East African Community (EAC) regional force would intervene against the M23 if it did not stop fighting and withdraw from its positions.

The EAC started sending troops into eastern Congo earlier this year to help fight various armed groups. A South Sudan army spokesman on Thursday said a battalion of 700 South Sudan troops would be sent to join the regional force.

Earlier on Thursday, thousands of people took to the streets of Goma and Bukavu, the two main cities in Congo’s east, to protest the deterioration of the security situation.

Reuters

Recent Posts

Here’s why Katende Patrick is poised to win the speakership race in Mpigi!

Here's why Katende Patrick is poised to win the speakership race in Mpigi!. Whisper Eye…

1 day ago

Masaza Cup 2026: Mawokota to Face-Off with Kyaggwe, Gomba and Others in MASENGERE Group

Masaza Cup 2026: Mawokota to Face-Off with Kyaggwe, Gomba and Others in MASENGERE Group as…

2 days ago

Breaking the Gavel: Anita Among Withdraws from 12th Parliament Speakership Race

The rain in Kampala had a way of flattening everything, turning the red dust of…

3 days ago

Nakwedde Vows to Champion Education, Health and Economic Empowerment in Kayunga District

Nakwedde Vows to Champion Education, Health and Economic Empowerment in Kayunga District. Kayunga District Woman…

3 days ago

Esther Nakawooya Breaks Silence on Nakaseke Election Petition, Rallies Supporters for Court Battle

Nakaseke District Woman MP petitioner Esther Nakawooya has called upon her supporters and well-wishers to…

3 days ago

Kabuye Kyofatogabye Takes Oath for 12th Parliament: Here Comes a Vision-Bearer for Community Transformation in Nakaseke Central

Kabuye Kyofatogabye Takes Oath for 12th Parliament: Here Comes a Vision-Bearer for Community Transformation in…

4 days ago